Friday, September 17, 2010

Dear Stranger

I never had the chance to meet Rod Dial. I never was one of the thousands that his life touched while he was alive. I never had the opportunity to go and play sports with him, or sit in his presence. But this man has changed my life in a way that its never been changed. And for that I am grateful to know his friends. I don't know if his family or friends will ever see this but i want to tell you my friends about a man that is greater then most on this earth and is now where he is needed the most at this time. His life is one that will always be remembered.
Growing up I didn't have the best role model. My father wasn't one of those men who taught me about life. I guess in a way I became a man on my own. I learned the lessons the hard way. The way that I guess makes you stronger. In a way I'm glad that i was raised that way. It helped me see what I wanted for my family. It helped me become the man that I want to be. I have gone through many hardships in my life. But i have also been blessed beyond my dreams. They say that behind every great man is a great woman. Now i have found that great woman. I just need to become that great man. For years I have searched to find out what the true meaning of life is. I have lost friends and gained friends. I have loved and lost and then found true love. I have searched many churches just to go back to the one that I believe in. But there was still this void that I was trying to fill. There was still something missing in my life. I couldn't find it any where. I have spent many sleepless nights thinking about how I can better myself. I have thought about doing various things But it wasn't till I saw something that caught my eye. I was on facebook and I started to read what my friends where posting about this man. The way they talked about him made me think "who is this guy". I know one of his daughters. And she really is a great person. I have seen pictures of her and her dad in many places. But that is all I really knew about him. But the way that they spoke of him was in a way that made you pause and think about life. The news said that his friends spoke about him as if he was "holy". Now to me that might have been a little too much. Until i started to read his facebook page.
Rod Dial is man that lived life like there was no tomorrow. Many people have become better because of this man. One thing that i noticed is that he always smiled and would give huge hugs. He made people feel like they were worth something. As a young man he lost his father and would help the young men who didn't have fathers become that man that he had become. He was a person who truly cared about you. He served his church and his community as if they were family. He helped others, nurtured those who were in need of a pick me up. He taught the value of life to so many. Many say that he was the person they wanted to be. He was the example that you wanted for your kids. His children where the ones that you wanted your kids to be friends with. I know personally that just be knowing one of them I can see the example in her that she learned from her father. His love and his compassion was contagious.
After hearing so many wonderful things about Rod. I knew that it would be wrong not mention my feelings to man that I never had the honor to know. But because of his untimely death I know how want to live my life. I know that I can no longer take my family and friends for granted. I can no longer turn my head when someone is in need of a shoulder or hand shake. I know now that there are things that I want to change about my life, things that only a man like Rod Dial can teach. I hope that when it is my time to return to my heavenly father that my friends and family will talk about me like they do about Rod. I hope that one day my life will be able to touch half as many people as Rod Dial's did. So thank you Rod Dial. For the example that you have set for those that had the honor of knowing you and to those who didn't have that honor. One day I wish to be just like Rod Dial.

1 comment:

Jared Fort said...

Thank you so much for writing this! Rod Dial was an amazing man! He was loved by everyone that came in contact with him, he was just that kind of guy. He has changed not only my life but Jareds. He was Jared's young mens leader, he helped him when he needed the example the most. He has helped him to become the amazing man he is today. You would have loved him! He was like a father to Jared when he was struggling the most in the church. He was always there for him no matter what he was doing in his life and loved him with all his heart.

When we heard that he had passed, it made us think. He died doing something that he LOVED, being out in nature and having fun with his daughter. He lived his life to the fullest. Always thinking of others and how he could help them. He is who we all need to be. I, along with Jared want to strive to be like him. I want to be a beter mother, wife, and all around person. I have struggled with that and he has helped to change my life.

So thank you for writing such an amazing letter about such an amazing man that will always be remembered and respected.